Monday, April 20, 2009

Never mind the poet Pope, Jeeves...




I'm typing this from Iris Bookcafe, on Main.
The last light is shining down through the latticed driftwood in the courtyard and gathering in buttery pools on the concrete; the pools that were gray from the rain that was falling when we got out of our car to reach the cafe. Ryan and I sitting with intent to study, he with his Irish Breakfast tea (do they really drink that for breakfast in Ireland?) and I with my French Roast Uganda that I love so much. We exchange glances in reference to the strange pulsating rhythms of some undiscovered artist that the establishment has deemed sufficiently à la mode and "artsy", we reflecting that you know, mainstream isn't so bad, and perhaps there's a reason some artists never get "discovered"...
Here all the coffee mugs have eyes, though they do look glazed over.
Coffee from Coffee Emporium, soup from Mira's, ice cream from Aglamesis, all in one spot.
Iris Bookcafe, on Main St.
See you there!

5 comments:

Megobuddy said...

...we'll soon find out!

Very artsy post. I like it!

*sigh* Oh how I do miss my artistic expression. I thrived on my art classes in high school, creative writing was a thrill, books were my escape and playing my guitar allowed me to express my feelings as they were at the moment. I feel as though I lost a part of myself after coming to college. Boredom resides where creativity once lingered. Perhaps someday I will find time to really do the things I love besides blog.

Melissa Phelps said...

Thanks for advertising our latest hang out... I'm scared they will go out of business because my favorite places always (hyperbole) do.

You forgot to mention that the Ohio driftwood sculpture is by Thin Air Studios and the cups where done by the academy of the arts... I think... actually I can't remember who made the pottery.

TKB said...

I'm quite ready to revisit this spot in our fair city(well I think its fair).

Let me know next time there's an opening on your guest list...

*Nice pics btw. Ryan's camera?

Malcolm said...

Great photos in this post...not sure who's responsible, but they really look professional!

Ike said...

That would be Ryan's handiwork, and yes, I agree. He can make anyone look good!