Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Non Nobis



In Medieval times, the priests or some times the king would say a "non nobis" before the army went into battle.
"Non nobis Domine, non nobis. Sed nomine, tuo de gloriam."
Which being translated is a paraphrase of Psalm 115; Not unto us, Oh Lord, not unto us... but unto you be all the glory.

As a musician, it is easy to get my focus of attention off of God and onto myself. I practice, practice, practice to get something down, and after I do, I feel as if I did it on my own. After all, I was the one who spent all those hours in perfecting it, right?
Now juries are in a few days, and the feeling of self-dependance are stronger then ever, as I tell my self, "Come on, man, it's all depending on you to get this done."
Oh, God, help me to say my "non nobis" more often, and to give all the glory that is due to you.

No comments: