Saturday, January 31, 2009

And this is attractive how?


"and blue Irish eyes put there by a smutty finger..." (Taken at the Flood, by Agatha Christie)

Apparently this is preferable to eyes that were placed in their sockets with clean hands.

English is weird.

Take for example the word "weird". If memory serves the word comes from the Old English word wyrd, meaning fate, or destiny.
Oh, here's another one: because. That one's a little tricky to define without actually using the word "because", but I've done it...
You know where because came from?
Well, it's etymology is steeped-or may I say, shrouded- in thick clouds of mystery. No one really knows for sure, but I have read one account that attributes the origin of the word to a man in a Nordic tribe about to go a' viking.
Said man, one Svet Björnik by name, when asked why he left his faithful Nordic crow Bji behind, replied with these immortal words: "Bji caws."

Not really.
I made that up.
I think it's actually Elisabethen and is a contraction of "be the cause" or something. Which isn't nearly as interesting as my definition...

But there really was a Nordic crow, however. Unfortunately, they died off along time ago.
Couldn't keep up with the the whole sandwich demand.

I made that up, too.

You're very gullible today.

5 comments:

Melissa Phelps said...

*snort
Bji caws.
I'll admit I smirked

That Girl In Switzerland said...

The only true weirdness (oh, yes - weirdness) here is that you're reading an Agatha Christie. :-P

You're posts are always so random. They keep me greatly amused.

TKB said...

I like the new pic...it really shows your humble side.

And stop taking advantage of my gullibility!!!

Stanton said...

I shall never be taken in!! And those sandwiches sound like they'd be good...

Leanna said...

Some day down the road i'm going to forget that was a joke and tell my students "Did you know where the word 'because' comes from?!" And it will be all your fault!