Thursday, January 15, 2009

My musings...

On the importance of positive thinking:
Very. But positive thinking isn't everything. Let me try to explain.
You're falling off of Carew Tower. Now, as you soar through the air with the greatest of ease, you can think "Wow! Look at me! I bet I'll beat everyone else to the bottom..." and be really positive about the whole experience, but all the positivity in the world is not going to change the impact you'll have on the street below. =) Positive thinking can make an unpleasant ordeal more bearable, but sometimes if you use common sense you wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.
Therefore, I say a positive attitude WITH intelligent decisions is great gain.

On hype, cliches, etc:
I think many people use cliches and hype as an attempt to ease certain social situations because they really don't know how to comfortably express how they actually feel. However, to simply say "Never use cliches!" doesn't really reflect an accurate view of our social protocol. A cliche doesn't necessarily reflect the person's total opinion on the subject; it doesn't have to. It's just an easier, faster method of communication with less potential for awkwardness. So do I think cliches have their place in society? Yes. As long as you don't over use them. I think that just like knowing which fork to use, the art of cliche usage is valuable.
Now let loose the dogs of comment...

1 comment:

Melissa Phelps said...

I had a very good friend who used to reccomend books for me. Almost always, they were philosophy books. "Try reading Hobb's theory on ...." or maybe "I dislike German romantic philosophy because... Try reading [insert weird title here] and see if you agree." Truly, philosophy books have never interested me, except for their generally lovely bindings. Even the cliff notes bore me.
But, all that to say this, Isaac, if you ever write a philosophy book, I promise to read it :)