Friday, January 2, 2009

Microwaves: Are They Occult?

Okay guys, I know I just posted something, but I couldn't sleep.
So I got up and investigated the source of all that is good in this world: The refrigerator.
I perused its mysterious depths and soon emerged victorious with a broccoli/ cauliflower casserole and several thick slices of ham. The next question I had is a familiar one to fellow dorm guys;
Do I microwave this, or do I eat it cold?
Microwave ovens. They're spooky.
My microwave has all sorts of helpful buttons I could push. There's a pizza button, and a popcorn button, and a potato button, and a...
How does my microwave know that I'm putting a piece of pizza in instead of last nights pot roast?
I stood in front of this mad machine, pondering this.
I reach out my hand and twiddle with the knob as I think, inadvertently sending the microwave into a symphony of beeps as I do so. Not seeing a week-old-broccoli-and-cauliflower-casserole-with-ham button, I now am faced with a decision.
Do I just leave the setting on high, and risk the mutation of my ham into bacon?
(Incidentally, I'm on to you Canadians.) I remember when I was young(er), my Dad, my brother, and myself put a marshmallow in the microwave. That thing got as big as a softball, and about as hard, too.
Do I try my luck with the power settings, and attempt to manually gauge the correct time/power/weight set of variables?
Nowadays there's a third option.
Sensor Reheat.
I stare at those words illuminated in blue against the dark metallic skin of the oven face.
Sensor Reheat. What on earth does that do? How does it work? What is involved in the "sensor" part? (i'm picturing little french fries dressed in star trek uniforms going "kepten, we're being scanned! red alert!") I pause.
...
The moral implications hit me. Should I really be using something if I have no idea how it works? I go with yes, and taking it by faith I press the button.
My food came out great, by the way. Exactly the way I like it.
So are they of the occult? Well, lets just say that although this claims to explain it all away, I know better. Like I said:
Microwave ovens. They're spooky.

6 comments:

Sam said...

Not of the occult I'd say, but you definitely could start a microwave cult. Maybe you could post me as your first convert.

TKB said...

Count me in...in fact you probably could count the whole family in. We're big supporters. I'd probably even where the t-shirt.

Lil Joe... said...

we could... you know... bake things.

Melissa Phelps said...

And then there's that whole microwaves cause diseases rumor.
There may be no proof, but where there is smoke there is fire, or someone who just tried to fry a cd in a microwave...

Lil Joe... said...

EC2...
Here we come!
We are going to ROCK your WORLD!!!
get your mac on.
lol

Joseph said...

I once microwaved one of my action figures. I remember the plastic started to bubble and puff up, then it started to melt. If I didn't think microwaves were evil before then I sure learned better. And now a silent moment for my faithful old spiderman who died a horrible death...